β˜€οΈπŸŒŠ Salt water toxicity πŸŒŠβ˜€οΈ



Salt toxicity, or hypernatraemia, occurs due to an increase in sodium concentration in the blood. Pets that do not have access to fresh water for long periods, pets that drink large amounts of salt water and pets that eat lots of salty food such as beef jerky or play dough are at risk of developing salt toxicity! πŸ˜΅

Symptoms include:
Vomiting and diarrhoea
Mentally dull and depressed
Behavioural abnormalities (e.g. pressing head against walls, aimless staring at corners)
Trembling and drooling
Head bobbing
Seizures
Coma

Always offer your dogs fresh water after a day at the beach. Salt toxicity is a life threatening condition, be aware of excessive amounts of salt water ingested at the beach - if you have ANY questions or concerns were a phone call away!! β€οΈπŸŒŠ

The Pines Vet 
07 5665 7116

59106252_2128882000480483_2527437139566657536_n.jpg